During the week breakfast can be a bit of a grab and go situ but when the weekend arrives brekky turns into a main event.
These pastries are the best of both worlds! You can spend the weekend making them and enjoy fresh out of the oven, or they’re perfect to pop in a reusable pouch and take with you on the go.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 4 vegan sausages of choice
- 225g (roughly 1 block) of smoked tofu
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules
- 1/2 a tin of baked beans
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons of grated dairy free cheese
- 1 tablespoon of dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180c and once warm place the sausages onto the reusable baking mat that is sat on a tray. Cook as per instructions but for 5 minutes less than the recommended time.
Whilst the sausages cook add the oil to a pan along with the chopped fresh tomatoes. Crumble the tofu into small pieces into the pan and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, garlic granules and 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped chives. Combine and cook for 8 minutes stirring frequently.
Once the sausages are out of the oven carefully slice in thin chunks. Keep the oven on.
Roll out the sheets of pastry flat and cut them into 6-8 squares. Place the square on the reusable mat on a baking tray. You may need two trays and two mats. Split the tofu scramble by however many squares you have, and place it in the centre of each square leaving plenty of space around the edges.
Next add 1 tablespoon of baked beans on top of the tofu, followed by the sliced sausages.
- Add a pinch of grated cheese to each and then in a bowl combine the milk and maple syrup. Brush a tiny amount onto each corner of each square. This will act as a glue when sealing.
Now fold the sides up and pinch in the middle where they meet. Brush the pastry with any remaining liquid and then sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese.
Place in the oven for 25 minutes and serve with the remaining fresh chives once cooked.